Shopping on the internet offers numerous benefits that you won’t find shopping in a store or by mail. There are no lines to wait in, no automobile traffic, no conflicts with salespeople, and the most liked benefit is that many times consumers can purchase online without sales tax. However, there are some things that the consumer should be aware of because the internet does have its hidden dangers. I’ve listed the 5 most important tips that should be followed by anyone wishing to “Shop Online”.
1. Use a secure internet connection. Before making a purchase, make sure that the website owner has icons indicating that it has software programs and security in place.
2. Use a credit card for payment. By using a credit card, you the purchaser are protected by the Fair Credit Billing Act which will allow you to dispute any charges that your are unfamiliar with.
3. Do a search for reviews of the vendor by people that have previously done business with the company. Keep in mind that most people don’t leave reviews unless they have an unpleasant experience, but it will give you some general idea of the reliability of the seller.
4. Print a copy of your purchase confirmation sheet. The time you fail to get a printout of your confirmation is the time that you won’t receive the email confirmation whether it be for entering a bad email address or whatever reason. Always keep this confirmation until the product arrives.
5. Inspect the merchandise upon receipt. Compare the item to what you ordered. If it took days to weeks to receive your purchase, refer back to the confirmation sheet. It is usually a good source to the original description of the item.
If you follow these steps, you will reduce the possibility of having a BAD shopping experience on the internet. Happy Shopping!